Setting Up A Blogging Website – The Basics
- WordPress – The established market leader, for good reason, is WordPress.org. It is the blogging platform of choice of most bloggers today.
A couple of other popular platforms include:
- WordPress.com – a free hosted blogging platform. Please note, that although WordPress.com and WordPress.org are part of the same company, the services they offer are different!
- Blogger – another free hosted option – owned by Google
The domain is the website address that you blog will live on eg www.Supersocialclub.com The domain name you buy is an important choice, and you may have to think of alternatives if your first choice isn’t available.
Some of the most popular places t purchase and check domain name availability are:
Read more about choosing your domain name here.
There are many hosting services available for bloggers. Below are a few of the most popular.
- BlueHost – WordPress has been recommending Bluehost for web hosting since 2005. With 1-click WordPress installation, 24/7 support, and really affordable pricing, Bluehost is a great option for building your first website or blog.
- Liquid Web is another popular option with round the clock support.
- Web Synthesis (owned by WPEngine) hosting is great for established blogs with higher traffic ( Use this link and you’ll get 4 months free when you sign up for an annual plan.
There are thousands of blog themes available for WordPress blogs, many of them free or very reasonably priced. You can find these on WordPress.org itself or on many sites that offer WordPress themes such as themeforest.com by long time WordPress theme experts Envato
You could also consider having a blogging website designed for you bespoke from a website design firm, although you should expect to pay upwards of $500 for a custom built website.
Now that you’ve read the basics on setting up a blog, you can get more in depth information here.
Back to the Knowledgebase